Monday, February 4, 2008

Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs (#34), The Searchers (#12) and Blade Runner(#97)




Well, this weekend was an interesting movie weekend. In lue of the SuperBowl I spent my Sunday watching movies and cleaning. It was a great day with a few disappointments. Here's the Good, the Bad and the Ugly:


The good....
Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs:
Starring: all uncredited voices
Released: 1938
Genre: animated

Director: Disney
Netflix rating: 3.9 stars, my rating: at least 5
Favorite quote(s):
Snow White: I'm awfully sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you. But you don't know what I've been through. And all because I was afraid. I'm so ashamed of the fuss I made. ( This is just an example of the clever rhyming really...)

Here's a film that will always get 5 stars from me. It is timeless. I did not know that it was the first animated feature length film from Disney. As I watched it, I remembered all the songs and yes, I sang along. "Somday my Prince will Come" has been my theme song for a while now. When I tried to see who the characters were voiced by, all were uncredited, however that info. is available on imdb.com- a movie lovers heaven. I was impressed with the animation too. Some of the smallest details were drawn with care. And this was made in the 1930's- seriously?- that was a long time ago. Animation has certainly come a long way, but imagine people's reaction when they saw this in the theatre. Amazing. Disney was a genius.

The bad...
The Searchers:
Starring: John Wayne as Ethan Edwards, Jefferey Hunter as Martin Pawley and Natalie Wood as the older Debbie.
Released: 1956
Genre: Western
Director: John Ford
Netflix Rating: 4 stars, my rating: 3.5
Favorite Quote(s): Reverend Clayton: You wanna quit, Ethan? Ethan: That'll be the day.

I guess it wasn't so bad after all. Again, I will admit right up front that I do not like Westerns as a general rule. They bore me. I really don't like John Wayne- I think he was rediculous. However, this is one of my father's favorite movies and I can sort of see why. Despite being very derrogatory to the Natives of this country, cinematography is pretty amazing. It is an interesting story and I did have a few tears watching it. I wasn't bored with it, and I liked the ending. I do have some questions that remain that were not answered in the film however. For example, was Martha Edwards in love with her brother in law, Ethan. There is a scene where he is about to leave again after a long absence and she gets his coat. She smells it and is observed by the reverend. When she gives it to Ethan, he kisses her forehead. She is killed by the next scene so it is never explored. It just made this film seem like a sequel. I guess John Wayne and John Ford had a special bond. This was their 12 film together. Not sure if there are any others on this list, cause I won't watch them unless they are.

And the ugly...
Blade Runner:
Starring: Harrison Ford as Rick Deckard, Rutger Hauer as Roy Batty, Sean Young as Rachel
Relased: 1982
Genre: Sci-Fi
Director: Ridley Scott
Netflix Rating:3.5 stars, My rating: 2 stars
Favorite quote(s): Only one for this one...
Batty: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Well- this is too funny to me. When I told my friend Jason about watching this movie he thought it was great. He loved this movie. I really don't see the attraction. Now mind you, I like your average sci-fi film- but this was a little too weird for me. I am also a big Harrison Ford fan, just not in this movie. Don't waste your time on this one folks. I won't do it again.


I'm a little 'movied' out for right now....but I am sure that when I get home tonight there will be another one waiting for me. Can I really watch all 100? What do you think?

No comments: