Thursday, January 31, 2008

Vertigo- # 9



Starring: James Stewart as Scottie, Kim Novak as Madeline

Released: 1958

Genre: Film Noire/Thriller

Director: Alfred Hitchcock

Netflix rating: 5 out of 5 stars, my rating: 3- 1/2 out of 5 stars

Favorite quote: Midge: You want to know something? I don't think Mozart's going to help at all.

This is an old movie. I like it, as I have liked most Hitchcock films- not because they are the easiest to watch mind you, but because of the way the stories they tell. And the fact that they always have some sort of twists and/or turns that keep you watching. Hitchcock is known for his filming techniques- which I don't know a whole lot about- so I don't really have a comment on that. Although he does some interesting stuff with color when Scottie is having a mental breakdown. I do know is that this film is interesting in it's ability to keep me guessing at what is going on. Kim Novak is phenomenal at playing the part of the possessed woman. She gets this blank stare in her eyes and looks through everything. James Stewart is his typical charachter- I love it, but he is the same guy in every film that I have seen, I am hoping to find a different charachter in some of the ones I haven't seen yet. Sometimes it gets jumpy- but you catch up in the end.

I think Barbara Bel Geddes has all the funniest lines in the movie- she plays Scottie's friend, Midge. There is another great line about a bra that is hanging in her work space... She tells Scottie that he should know about those things, being a big boy and all. It's funny. Cracks me up! Let me know what you think if you have seen it, or watch it anytime soon.

No comments: