Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Silence of the Lambs- #74


First and foremost- a big giant thank you to Kelly- she helped me come up with a "punny" name for my new blog. It may change down the line- but it's a good start!

Last night I got home and dilly-dallied around for a while, then decided to watch a movie. I have decided to watch the movies in a no-particular-order manner.
I started with The Silence of the Lambs.


Starring: Jodie Foster as Clarice Starling and Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter
Released: 1991 by Orion
Genre: Crime/Thriller
Director: Jonathon Demme
Netflix rating: 4 out of 5 stars, my rating: same
Favorite quotes:

***Hannibal Lecter: A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
***Hannibal Lecter: Why do you think he removes their skins, Agent Starling?
Hannibal Lecter: Enthrall me with your acumen.
Clarice Starling: It excites him. Most serial killers keep some sort of trophies from their victims.
Hannibal Lecter: I didn't.
Clarice Starling: No. No, you ate yours.

I really like this movie. It's quite scary. I hadn't seen it in a long time. The scariest scene in the whole movie was when they were taking Lecter to see the mother of the latest victim. A plastic mask covering his mouth and nose is placed on his face and he is thoroughly strapped to a dolly. It is the most resonating scene in the movie for me. Simply creepy! What kills me is watching Anthony Hopkins play a character like Lecter. He talks in such a manner that from the very beginning is eerie and continues to prove so throughout the movie. I think it's the cadence of his speech. It's pretty creepy if you ask me. I also found myself almost routing for Lecter. I know that he is a monstrous villain- yet I couldn't help but like him and his overwhelming intelligence. He is rather clever, isn't he?
1 down, 99 to go!

2 comments:

Starlite said...

No doubt that Anthony Hopkins is a great actor, but that still doesn't mean I will watch this movie; again. I watched it once when we were young down at Mama and Papa's and it creeped out that I was so scared, I vouged I would never watch it again...and I won't. But if you ask Karen, she will tell you that it is one of her favorite movies....what is she thinking? She loves to watch scary movies!!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fun resolution. The only problem is that you have to watch movies like this and I wouldn't be able sleep.