Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Rocky (#57)




Rocky---

Starring: Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa, Talia Shire as Adrian Pennino, Carl Weathers as Apollo Creed, Burgess Meredith as Mickey
Released: 1976
Director:John Avildsen
Netflix rating: 3.8 stars, my rating: 4.5 stars
Favortie quote(s): (only because this is how I feel)
Paulie: [about Adrian] She's pushing thirty freaking years old, and if she don't wise up, she's gonna die an old maid.

Rocky: I'm thirty myself!


How do I comment on a movie like Rocky? If you haven't seen this one, you should be shot! This is one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen. No joke! There are so many awesome things about this movie that make me smile. Sly Stallone wrote this movie...he also directed the next 5 in the series. He directed the boxing choreography as well. Um, hello? Did I know that Sly Stone was so talented, NO! But he really is! The fact that there are 5 additional movies in the series , and he wrote them all, directed 5 out of 6, and choreographed all of the them iscertainly enough to say that this was and remains a great movie series. The first is always the best, and this simply proves my point. Also...Sly Stallone was the third person ever nominated for Oscar's in both best actor and best writer categories in the same year, following Charlie Chaplain (The Great Dictator) and Orson Welles (Citizen Kane). That's pretty amazing! Ok Ok Ok--so SLy has also been nominated and won some of the most Razzie Awards that I have ever seen too! Oh well, this was all after Rocky! :)
The characters are well developed, and well played. Mickey, Adian and Pauly are amazing! They ARE the characters that they portray. And of course, Apollo Creed! (Carl Weathers!- this is a joke- shouted at the top of our lungs-with a few friends at the local pubs!) The actors play them through 5 more movies. ( Well, Mickey dies in # 2 and Creed dies in #4-if I remember correctly, but you know what I mean.)
This should be higher on the AFI list if you ask me!



No comments: